The Melbourne Storm say centre Justin Olam’s initial Dally M snubbing was an “administrative error” made by the NRL.
- Olam’s name was not read out when the centre of the year nominees were announced on Monday
- Storm chief executive Justin Rodski says the NRL admits it made a mistake and Olam is nominated
- The major Dally M awards will be announced next Monday night
Olam’s Storm teammate Cameron Munster expressed his disappointment on Tuesday after his teammate was left out of the Dally M team of the year consideration, despite being one of the Storm’s most consistent performers.
He has scored 12 tries in 23 matches, while making a name for himself as one of the NRL’s hardest-hitting defenders.
The nominees for every position were announced on Monday night, with the omission of Olam the biggest shock.
The team of the year and the other major Dally M awards will be announced at a gala ceremony in Brisbane next Monday night.
Storm chief executive Justin Rodski said the NRL claimed it had made a mistake.
Rodksi said Olam had been nominated for the Dally M centre of the year award.
“I’ve spoken to the NRL and they were very apologetic,” he said.
“It was an administrative error so he was absolutely nominated, he was invited, as he should have been.
“He’s been a class act all season, he’s had an incredible season, he’s a quality human being, he’s a proud Papua New Guinea man and a proud Melbourne Storm player.
Rodski said Olam was “embarrassed” by the attention caused by the oversight and was still to be officially told of his nomination.
Munster had taken to Instagram to highlight Olam’s omission.
“I’m not usually one for a rant, but pretty disappointed my PNG brother Justin Olam didn’t even get nominated for centre of the year!” Munster wrote on Tuesday.
“He’s easily a top-three centre. Don’t come at me. The system needs a change, NRL.”